Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman (aka Dr. Beach), Director of Florida International University’s Laboratory for Coastal Research released his list of Top 10 Beaches for 2009. He uses a multitude of criteria to evaluate beaches, which includes water and sand quality as well as safety, facilities and environmental management.
The Traveling Mamas love Hawaii, but we’re also big fans of beaches. Period. Here’s Dr. Beach’s official list. Some are great for families, others are perfect for that romantic escape, but all are perfect for relaxing and getting some sand between your toes.
1. Hanalei Bay Kauai, Hawaii
2. Siesta Beach Sarasota, Florida
3. Coopers Beach Southampton, New York
4. Coronado Beach San Diego, California
5. Hamoa Beach Maui, Hawaii
6. Main Beach East Hampton, New York
7. Cape Hatteras Outer Banks of North Carolina
8. Cape Florida State Park Key Biscayne, Florida
9. Coast Guard Beach Cape Cod, Massachusetts
10. Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Do you disagree with Dr. Beach’s list? Keep in mind that past list leaders are ineligible for inclusion. The annual top beach pick by Dr. Beach has always been in either Florida or Hawaii, with the exception of 2007, which was in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
My personal pick for top beach of 2009 would have to be Nannygoat Beach on Sapelo Island, a Georgia barrier island. It is undeveloped, pristine, fantastic for shelling, and the first time I’ve ever actually seen the beach shimmer with gold flecks. Simply breathtaking.
Here’s a video by brew journalist, Ale Sharpton, that ends on Nannygoat Beach.
If you were doing the choosing, what beach would be your top pick for 2009?